Sunday 17 June 2012

Doctor Who, Gonna Watch the Lot...

Total so far:
001 episodes out of 784
000 of which were recons
000 of which were audio recordings

For very personal and unhappy reasons these last couple of weeks I've found myself with plenty of time on my hands yet no energy for and precious little inclination to do anything creative. As such I've decided to make a start on something I have been toying with for a couple of years. So having just a few minutes ago finished viewing An Unearthly Child episode one I have began my quest to watch of all 784 episodes of Doctor Who in broadcast order.

To be honest I probably won't write up this experiment in any great detail here on this blog unless a particular episode or story strikes me as worth talking about. The one I just watched was pretty good and I'd forgotten how wonderfully abrasive and cantankerous William Hartnell's Doctor was in those first few stories. I think it a real shame the producers so quickly sought to mellow this somewhat crotchety and even patronizing character.

Missing episodes (there are 106 of the beggars) will either be watched as reconstructions or will be listened to on BBC Audio CD/Cassette releases (every 60's story from Marco Polo onwards survives as fan made off air audio recordings).

Also at the relevant points I will watch Shada and the charity specials. I'll also watch A Fix With Sontarans, the mini episodes from the Series 5 and 6 (or series 31 and 32 if you preffer) boxed sets and if I can find them the "Script To Screen Competion" mini episodes, the interactive digital TV story (trhe name of which escapes me) and the web episodes. However these will not count towards my episode tally.

Finally I will state once and for all that I will not be watching the two Peter Cushing Dr. Who (see the subtle copyright fee dodging change they made there?) movies because they are stupid and shit and in no way can be concider canon.

1 comment:

  1. If the Cushing films aren't canon, how about watching a few episodes of 'Cannon', the 70s US TV show about a fat detective? Ron Moody probably turns up at some point and I'm sure there aren't too many degrees of separation between him and DW.

    ReplyDelete